Process to Become a Substitute Teacher
Policy DPB (LOCAL)
Requirements to become a substitute:
1. Complete application packet which include the following forms.
- Completed Application form
- Official high school transcript, GED certificate, or college transcript
- Copy of social security card
- Copy of driver's license
- Completed W4 form
- Completed MidAmerica Retirement Form
- Employment Eligibility Verification (Be sure to list credentials and dates of expiration for both lists "B" and "C".)
- Criminal History Search Consent Form
2. Complete the substitute-training course.
- Register with Lamar Institute of Technology training class.
- Pay fees of $35 at Silsbee ISD Administration Office.
- Obtain Certificate of Completion for Substitute Training.
- Submit the Certificate of Completion to Silsbee ISD Administration Office.
3. Volunteer a minimum of 3 hours at two of the Silsbee schools.
- Obtain a volunteer from Silsbee ISD Administration Office
- Contact campus secretary to schedule a date and time for the classroom observation.
- Report to the campus secretary on the schedule date to ask for specific instructions.
- Request campus secretary's signature as verification of observation hours.
- Return signed form to Silsbee ISD Administration Office.
Contingent upon completed application and records submitted, qualified applicants names will be reviewed by the superintendent and placed on the board agenda for approval at the next regular monthly board meeting. Regular board meetings are scheduled for the second Tuesday of each month.